dltv 205 episode
Run time 42:56Producer pcmagAudio/Visual sound, colorLanguage English
Diagnosing Your Car, Swap Your Mouse for a Tablet, BIOS Tweaking, Mass Effect and More
What's new in Episode 205
• Since Thanksgiving in the US takes place on Thursday there will be no live streamed show this week. To make up for the schedule change we're offering this week's show -we taped early this week- today. Thanks for your continued support and happy holidays!
• We had a few comments about last week's show.
• Roger - a different Roger - suggested an alternative to FreeNAS. He suggested Openfiler, another Open Source Storage OS. Although we haven't tried it ourselves Roger thinks it beats FreeNAS.
• Alexander takes us to task for recommending an inefficient firewall solution like Smoothwall. The extra energy an older PC expends while running idle is both wasteful and polluting. His solution? A Linksys WRT54GL router running open source firmware.
• Chris also takes us to task on setting up a firewall. He recommends the converse of what Roger did, plugging up all the network ports and opening only the ones you need.
• Chris - another Chris - suggests Sirius Frequency Finder page and Radio-Locator when using an iPod FM Transmitter to figure out what open frequencies will available in your area.
• Well Loyd's PC is finally put together and running. But before you insert that OS install disc in the drive there's one last thing you need to do, tweak the BIOS. Follow along as Loyd points out the various options and toggles in the typical BIOS setup.
• Robert followed up on Loyd's BIOS tip with a suggestion to check out Tech ARP's BIOS Optimization Guide. Tech ARP's BIOS guide has been around for years and continues to be the best source for learning more about even the most obscure BIOS related terms and features.
• If you plan on going pro with Photoshop you'll need to ditch the mouse for something a bit more precise. Pixel Corps's, Alex Lindsay, is here to explain the benefits of ditching your mouse and picking up a tablet when using Photoshop.
• If you own a 1996 or later automobile chances are you have an OBDII port installed under the dash. This handy little connector allows you to attach a variety of OBDII Scanners and loggers including the CarChip Pro and the CanOBD2 line of OBDII scanners. Perfect if you need to map out your driving habits or diagnosis what's ailing your automobile.
• It is turning out to be a great holiday season for gamers. Mass Effect is another one of those Most Anticipated Titles of the Year. Bioware claims Mass Effect is the best they have ever done. Better than Jade Empire? Better than Knights of the Old Republic? Really? Scott grabbed EGM's Brian Intihar to answer all those questions and what's this about being able to get freaky with some aliens?
• Finally Nathan wanted to know some good open source CD/DVD Burning software. Well Nathan thanks to our generous viewers we have a stack of potential titles for you to try out. There's CDBurnerXP, ImgBurn, and finally from Tommy comes this recommendation, InfraRecorder.
• Got a Question? A tip? A product you're curious about Email us at email@example.com